Makeup is more than everyday practice. Done correctly, it can transform a person’s appearance and in its highest form, is truly art.
To learn the best makeup tips, tricks, and techniques, we compiled a list of the best-of online makeup classes in all of the most popular categories. If you would like to elevate your makeup artistry to the next level, read on to see our top picks.
Best Online Makeup Classes
- Best Overall: Beauty Tips and Tricks: An Introduction to Applying Makeup
- Best for Beginners: Beauty Tips: Easy Everyday Makeup That Lasts All Day
- Best for Intermediate: Bobbi Brown Teaches Makeup and Beauty
- Best for Advanced: Complete Makeup Course – Become a Makeup Artist
- Best for Natural Look/Work Makeup: How to create Everyday/Work makeup look – Like a Pro
- Best for Stage, Film, and TV Makeup: Become a Professional Makeup Artist for Film and Television
- Best for Interview Makeup for Men: Working on Camera: Video Makeup Techniques
- Best for Various Ages and Skin Types: Real Life Everyday Makeup for Different Occasions
- Best for Special Events for Range of Skin Tones: Bridal Makeup for Different Skin Tones
- Best for Night Out Makeup: Red Carpet Ready: Makeup Skills for Evening Looks
1. Beauty Tips and Tricks: An Introduction to Applying Makeup (Best Overall)
What we liked: This course goes over a few different techniques, mostly focusing on daytime makeup, but also has fun with nighttime and celebrity looks.
- Master a variety of makeup looks for day, night, and special occasions.
- Teaches techniques for every part of the face.
- Suitable for beginners or intermediate-beginners.
- Relatively introductory. If you are looking for more advanced or specialized techniques, keep reading for our other suggested classes!
Professional makeup artist Chelsie Baker teaches the techniques needed for applying makeup to every part of the face, providing instructions on multiple techniques and styles. This a great course for people who may be relatively inexperienced with makeup, such as people who only know one technique (or maybe even less) for applying makeup. This will give them more ideas, options, and confidence.
2. Beauty Tips: Easy Everyday Makeup That Lasts All Day (Best for Beginners)
What we liked: This makeup course goes through all of the fundamentals that a beginner or relative beginner needs to know, including some things that you might not have even thought of but are still foundational to having a beautiful daily makeup routine.
- Includes all the basics that a person needs to know, even things you may not have thought of such as how to choose your makeup products.
- The course also includes everyday makeup techniques for your entire face: foundation (skin), eyes, and lips.
- It also teaches students how to apply makeup that will last, so you can enjoy your new look all day!
- It is an “everyday” makeup class, so the techniques are meant to be a bit on the basic side.
This is a great course for anyone who wants to start wearing makeup, for example, in a professional setting, but doesn’t know where to start and doesn’t want to accidentally look inappropriately dramatic or clownish!
It will also take away the feeling of overwhelm when you go to the makeup store. You’ll know what to focus on and be able to more easily choose items you actually need and that will work well for you.
3. Bobbi Brown Teaches Makeup and Beauty (Best for Intermediate)
What we liked: This Masterclass let’s makeup students learn directly from makeup and beauty icon Bobbi Brown. In addition to all of her beauty wisdom, we especially like the “1-minute makeup” lesson.
- A variety of techniques and styles from beauty and makeup maven Bobbi Brown.
- Day looks, night looks, very natural looks, office looks, statement looks, and more.
- Also includes a “1-minute makeup” lesson so you always have time to look great.
- Shows makeup techniques for many skin tones.
- So much information takes a while to impart. All of the lessons together total almost 4 hours.
Bobbi Brown focuses on enhancing a person’s natural beauty and wants people to feel confident in themselves. Her positive and inclusive Masterclass makeup course takes students on an in-depth journey to achieve this in many different settings, from day, to night, special even, and even getting ready in a hurry.
4. Complete Makeup Course – Become a Makeup Artist (Best for Advanced)
What we liked: This top-rated course teaches the best practices for all different face shapes, skin tones, and eye variations. Goes in depth on all of the techniques you need to apply makeup to all different faces in the most beautiful and professional manner possible.
- Detailed best practices for every single step that you need to prepare and apply makeup.
- Variety of looks.
- Inclusive range of face shapes, and skin and eye types.
- Includes lesson on color theory as it applies to makeup.
- This is an advanced, in-depth course and therefore, takes some time. The course is a total of 4 hours and 34 minutes.
5. How to create Everyday/Work makeup look – Like a Pro (Best for Natural Look/Work Makeup)
What we liked: Wow! This class is only 12 minutes! We love that this class not only teaches you how to look like your best natural (and professional!) self, but it teaches you how to do it in a record time, a big plus when you have places to be and things to do!
- Only 12 minutes long!
- Teaches you how to look like the best version of yourself.
- Great for professional environments.
- The teacher is mindful about choosing products that are affordable and multipurpose, and that will work well with all skin and eye colors, skin types, and age ranges.
- It is very straight and to the point, so there are not any “extras.”
Perfect class to teach you exactly what you need to know to look great at work or any other everyday setting where you just want to look like the best version of you.
6. Become a Professional Makeup Artist for Film and Television (Best for Stage, Film, and TV Makeup)
What we liked: This course teaches the professional makeup skills needed specifically for stage, TV, and film, as well as business career tips.
- This course is created by the Academy of Film Fashion and Design.
- Step-by-step instructions.
- Almost everything you need to know for applying makeup in a performance setting.
- Also includes business concepts for aspiring professionals.
- The course is geared toward intermediate to advanced students, but to truly be an expert in this profession, of course, you will still need to take additional courses or training.
If you are interested in learning how to apply makeup to performers such as stage, TV, and film actors, you likely also want to learn how to have a profitable career in this field as well. That is where this course stands out. Not only does it teach you the makeup skill, but it teaches the business techniques you will need, as well.
7. Working on Camera: Video Makeup Techniques (Best for Interview Makeup for Men)
What we liked: Very efficient and fast tutorial that shows exactly the techniques you need to make men look their best on camera, without appearing like they are wearing make-up.
- Only 4 minutes and 38 seconds.
- Part of a LinkedIn course for which you can earn a certificate (Working on Camera: Video Makeup Techniques.
- Provides instruction on how to make men appear their best, even on high-definition cameras, yet without it obviously looking like they are made-up.
- At only 4-and-a-half minutes, it provides just the most essential information. You can do the rest of the course, or the other courses listed here for more in-depth instruction.
8. Real Life Everyday Makeup for Different Occasions (Best for Various Ages and Skin Types)
What we liked: This top-rated course is among the most practical and inclusive makeup courses online with makeup instruction that applies to many different events for women with a range of ages and skin types and colors.
- Great variety of real-world events for which you are likely to want to do makeup.
- Tips for how to do makeup for these events for everyone.
- So much great information does take time to teach and learn. The entire course is 4 hours and 20 minutes.
From prom makeup to doing makeup on your mom, this course has something for everybody, and everyone in their lives. It is a great course to expand your repertoire of makeup skills.
9. Bridal Makeup for Different Skin Tones (Best for Special Event Makeup for Range of Skin Tones)
What we liked: In-depth and inclusive lessons that teach women from anywhere in the world how to make themselves look like a princess on their big day.
- One of the most inclusive special event makeup courses.
- Includes tutorials for light, medium, and dark skin, as well as Indian bridal makeup, and make-up for mother-of-the-bride, as well.
- While a wedding is probably the most special event in many women’s lives, the techniques in this video can be applied to other special events as well.
- The entire course is quite long at 5 hours and 39 minutes. If you need to save time, however, you can look at the headings to find just the sections that apply to you and your bridal party.
There are so many different ways to look beautiful, and this class helps women embrace and maximize their unique beauty on their special day.
10 Red Carpet Ready: Makeup Skills for Evening Looks (Best for Night Out Makeup)
What we liked: Taught by celebrity makeup artist Mario Dedivanovic, students of this course will learn how to craft a dramatic, yet classy and flawless, look for their big night.
- Quick and to-the-point class is only about 30 minutes long.
- Taught by highly-renowned celebrity makeup artist who has done makeup for Kim Kardashian, Michelle Williams, Christina Aguilera, Eliza Dushku, and many others, and whose work has appeared in Glamour, Allure, People, L’Uomo Vogue, Teen Vogue, and more, as well.
- Learn skills to create a flawless complexion, smoky eyes, perfected eyebrows, and contouring.
- For lips, it only focuses on a nude lip look, but some might want a more dramatic look there, too. If so, you can apply similar techniques but with the colors of your choice.
This class will quickly and easily teach you the techniques you need in order to look as picture-perfect as most of your favorite celebrities do on their red carpet walks.
Makeup Classes – Best Online Options
The online makeup courses listed above provide among the best options for learning makeup techniques for all variety of faces.
This includes women of different ages, skin colors and types, and even for men. Excellent courses are available for beginners, all the way to professionals advancing their career.