- TikTok was the fastest non pre-installed app to garner 1 billion users.
- It was the Number 1 most downloaded app in both 2020 and 2021.
- In 2021, it was also the highest grossing app of the year.
- By 2021, TikTok users were spending about $500 million per quarter through the app, and $1.9 billion that year.
- Influencers can charge $5 – $2,500 for posts, depending on whether they are non-influencers, micro-influencers, on up to mega-influencers.
- TikTok is available in 154 countries with at least 75 languages.
- Although known for its young audience, 20.3% of its users are between 40-49 and 11% are over age 50.
- Worldwide, 56.1% of TikTok’s users are female and 43.9% are male, though this varies widely according to country and region.
- The United States of America is currently the country with the most monthly active users is with 65.9 million MAU.
- The country with the second highest number of monthly active users is Indonesia, with 22.2 million monthly active users.
- TikTok users are frequently high-income, with 37% from households earning $100,000+ per year, and only 9.6% earning less than $25,000.
- TikTok creators are most often aged 18 – 24, with 53% of creators in this age range.
- People younger than 13 made up approximately 9% of creators, though they must use the “Younger Users” version.
The TikTok app has taken the world by storm, bringing entertainment and success, as well as controversy.
- The TikTok app has been breaking many records, including becoming the fastest non pre-installed app to attain 1 billion users.
- TikTok reported in September of 2021 that, worldwide, they have 1 billion active users monthly.
- In 2020, the company reported 689 million monthly active users.
- There was a 45% increase in monthly active users for the site in just one year, from 2020 to 2021.
- In January 2018, TikTok reported 55 million monthly active users, worldwide.
- In the 3.9 years from 2018 to 2021, this represents growth of 1,818%.
- Currently, in the United States alone, TikTok has approximately 138 million monthly active users.
- TikTok has reportedly experienced the No. 1 fastest growth of any social media platform in history.
- It currently ranks 7th among social media platforms according to total monthly active users.
- In both 2020 and 2021, TikTok was the Number 1 downloaded app.
- In 2021, TikTok was also the highest grossing app for that year.
- There have been 3 billion installations of the TikTok app worldwide.
- As many as 90% of TikTok users interact with the app multiple times every day.
In addition to usage, TikTok stands out amongst its competitors in terms of engagement. Engagement looks at how much time each user spends on the app and how many views individual videos get.
- In 2018, TikTok reported approximately 6 hours of engagement per month per user.
- By 2021, this number had gone up to 25.7 hours per month per user.
- This is a 428.3% increase in usage time per user per month in only a 3-year period.
- TikTok boasts nearly 10 hours more per month per user of engagement than its next closest competitor, Facebook (16 hours).
- TikTok’s monthly engagement per user is also more than triple Instagram’s, which is only 7.9 hours per month per user.
- Engagement for “micro-influencers” was reported to be 17.96%, compared to only 3.86% for Instagram, or 1.63% for YouTube.
- “Mega-influencers” on TikTok reported engagement of 4.96%, versus only 1.21% for Instagram, or 0.37% for YouTube.
- TikTok star Charli D’Amelio holds the record for most followers with 132.7 million people following her account.
- Every minute, there are 167 million videos being watched on TikTok.
- Children between 4 – 15 years old, in 2020, viewed 75 minutes, on average per day, worldwide, watching videos on TikTok.
TikTok Financial Statistics
TikTok’s financial measures has been growing impressively, as well, even becoming the highest grossing app in 2021.
- TikTok’s revenue in 2020 was estimated to be $1.9 billion.
- Of their total revenue that year, $1.3 billion was from advertising.
- By 2021, TikTok consumers were spending approximately $500 million per quarter through the app.
- This made TikTok the highest grossing app of the year in 2021.
- The top earning influencer on TikTok in 2021 was Charli D’Amelio, with $17 million earned that year.
- The second highest earner on the app that year was her sister, Dixie D’Amelio with $10 million earned.
- TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, has had an estimated value of at least $180 billion, with valuations sometimes fluctuating even higher.
TikTok Influencer Financial Statistics
- TikTok ranked 2nd for recipient of spending on influencer marketing compared to all other social media apps.
- TikTok was used by 45% of marketers who utilized influencers, compared to 68% for Instagram, 43% for Facebook, and 36% for YouTube.
- In 2019, TikTok influencers were reportedly charging approximately $600-1000 per post if they have at least 2.5 million followers.
- Currently, even nano-influencers (5,000 – 50,000 followers) on TikTok can charge $5 – $25 per influencer post.
- Micro-influencers (50,000 – 150,000 followers) are typically offered $25 – $125 per influencer post.
- Mid-tier influencers (150,000 – 750,000 followers) charge between $125 – $1,250 per paid post.
- Macro-influencers’ (750,000 – 2.5 million followers) paid posts command between $1,250 – $2,500.
- Mega-influencers (2.5 million or more followers) may charge $2,500 per paid post or even more.
- Fully 25%, or 1 in 4, TikTok users are between the ages of 10 – 19.
- Another 22.4% of its users are aged 20 – 29.
- This does mean that 47.4% of its users are under the age of 30, specifically between the ages of 10 – 29.
- It also has 21.7% of users between the ages of 30 – 39.
- Approximately 1 in 5 of its users, or 20.3% of TikTok users are aged 40 – 49.
- Although known for its younger demographics, more than 1 in 10, or 11% of its users are over age 50.
Nationality, Race, and Gender
- The app is available in 154 countries.
- There are at least 75 different languages spoken and used on the app.
- Worldwide 56.1% of TikTok’s users are female, while 43.9% are male.
- In the United States, 61% of TikTok’s followers are female and only 39% are male.
- This opposite is true in the Middle East and Pakistan, where between 60.1% – 80.7% of users are male.
- In the U.S. 31% of the Hispanic population, 30% of the Black population, and 18% of the White population report having ever used TikTok
Education and Income
- In the U.S., 21% of the population with an education of high school or less reported having used TikTok.
- One-third of the U.S. population with a college degree has ever used the app.
- Of people in the U.S. with some-college education, 16% have ever used TikTok.
- TikTok users represent a wide range of income levels, with 37% of its US users having household incomes of $100,000+.
- About 18% of its users are from households with incomes under $25,000, though this probably includes college students who will likely earn more later.
TikTok Over Time
- TikTok originally started as an app called Douyin in 2016, by the Chinese company called Bytedance.
- It reportedly took 200 days to develop the original version of the app.
- The international version of this app was released in 2017 and named TikTok.
- Bytedance acquired Musical.ly and merged it with TikTok in 2018, gaining a larger foothold in the Western market.
- By February of 2019, TikTok achieved the milestone of reaching 1 billion downloads globally.
- In 2020, U.S. president, Donald Trump, threatened, unsuccessfully, to prohibit TikTok in the U.S. unless it was bought by a U.S. company.
- Also in 2020, India banned TikTok because of a border dispute with China.
- India’s ban against TikTok became permanent in 2021.
- TikTok had over 200 million users in India at the time that it was banned.
- In 2020, Microsoft considered buying the U.S., Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand divisions of TikTok, but ultimately did not.
Most Popular TikTok Hashtag Categories
- Entertainment was the most searched and viewed category with 535 billion hashtag views.
- Dance was the second most popular category, boasting 181 billion views.
- Next were Pranks, with 79 billion views.
- This was followed by Fitness/sports which had 57 billion views.
- Home Reno/D.I.Y, with 39 billion views, was the 5th most popular hashtag category.
- Beauty/Skincare followed close behind with 33 billion views.
- The 7th most popular category was Fashion, boasting 27 billion views.
- Recipes/Cooking, with 18 billion hashtag views, was next.
- Life Hacks/Advice ranked 9th in popularity, having 13 billion views.
- The hashtag Pets ranked 10th most popular with 10 billion views.
- Finally, Outdoors, with 2 billion views, was the 11th most popular hashtag category.
TikTok Statistics for Business
TikTok is increasingly becoming popular for marketing, especially to Millennials and Gen Z consumers with short, catchy, and “authentic” videos.
- The most recent measurements show 78.7 million monthly active users in the United States alone.
- This figure is expected to increase 8% year-over-year in 2022, to 84.9 million, and another 6% in 2023 to 89.7 million.
- Worldwide, TikTok boasts over 1 billion monthly active users, and has been ranked the fastest growing app by many measures.
- TikTok users tend to come from higher-income households, with 37% from households earning at least $100,000 per year.
- Only 9.6% of TikTok users are from households earning less than $25,000 per year.
- TikTok creators are most likely to be between 18 – 24 years old, with 53% of creators in this age range.
- TikTok also has a “Younger Users” version for users who are younger than 18 years old.
- Creators on TikTok younger than 13 made up approximately 9% of the total number of creators.
- It is very influential, with 43% of users stating they tried something new because they saw it on TikTok.
What TikTok Users Want
- One out of 4 of the best performing videos on TikTok are 21 – 23 seconds long.
- On average, videos of this short length have an average of 1.6% more impressions.
- People like being entertained, with 60% of users stating that is why they use the app.
- People use TikTok to learn, with 28% saying they use the app for new ideas/inspiration, and 24% to learn.
- Self-expression is a major motivation for using TikTok, cited by 28% of users.
- Keeping up with trends was listed by 23% of users as their reason for using the app.
- 22% of TikTok users listed staying in touch with friends as their reason for using TikTok.
- TikTok is used by 30% of Gen Z for product research.
- This is compared to 16% of Millennials, 9% of Gen X, and 2% of Boomers who use TikTok for product research.
- YouTube is still the leader among all age groups for product research, though, with 59% of Gen Z.
- Another 61% of Millennials use YouTube for product research, as well as 48% of Gen X, and 32% of Boomers.
TikTok Statistics by Country
As mentioned, TikTok is currently used in at least 154 countries, with at least 75 different languages spoken. The 13 countries with the most monthly active users are listed in the table below.
- The country with, by far, the most monthly active users is the United States of America with 65.9 million MAU.
- Updates now show that there are 78.7 million monthly active users in the United States.
- Monthly active users in the United States is projected to increase to 84.9 million in 2022 and 89.7 million in 2023.
- Indonesia is in second place with 22.2 million monthly active users.
- Of the Top 13, Norway ranks lowest with 1 million monthly active users.
- Australia is the second least on this list with 2.4 million monthly active users.
TikTok Statistics by Country in 2020 (Table)
|Country||Number of Monthly Active Users (millions)||Rank by MAU worldwide|
Source: See Reference 8. For illustration purposes only
- Pew Research Survey, “Social Media Use in 2021”
- Statista, TikTok Global Monthly Active Users
- Business of Apps, TikTok App Report 2022
- TikTok 2022 Update
- Marketing Charts, TikTok: How Fast Is It Growing in the US, And Who’s Using It?
- Viral Nation – Marketing Tiers
- Reuters, TikTok Timeline
- Statista, TikTok Users in Selected Countries, 2020
- Sprout Social
- Statista, TikTok Users in the United States
- Statista, TikTok Age Distribution