Clubhouse is an audio-based platform that combines different social aspects, including talkback radio and conference calls. The app was launched early last year and has gained popularity since then, primarily because of its exclusivity. It has also recorded a lot of success, as seen from its high number of active users.
To gain access to Clubhouse, a user requires an invite since the app is currently based on an invite-only module. It is exclusively available on iOS at present although, the company has said that it is planning to develop an Android version.
- Clubhouse was created in April 2020 by Paul Davison and Rohan Seth.
- 1.3 million Clubhouse user records were leaked in April 2021.
- As of May 2020, it had a market value of $100 million.
- In January 2021, the social platform was valued at $1 billion – a feat that has seen it become regarded as a Unicorn Startup. The valuation followed a series B funding that was led by the American venture firm Andreessen Horowitz.
- The number of weekly active users at the start of this year was 2 million.
- As of February 2021, Clubhouse hosted up to 10 million active users every week.
- Under the Social Media Network category in the apps store, Clubhouse ranked between positions 8 and 10 in May last year.
- The platform was backed by more than 180 investors as of January 2021.
The Numbers of Clubhouse Users
- As of 4th April 2021, Clubhouse had recorded 13 million downloads worldwide.
- Clubhouse was launched with 1500 beta test users, and one month later, in May, the app had approximately 270 daily users.
- The number of users increased gradually, up to 600,000 users in December 2020.
- The top 3 markets (by iOs downloads) are United States, Japan and Germany.
- As of January 2021, there were 2 million weekly users on the platform.
- This figure increased fivefold in the next month [February] to an approximated 10 million users.
- The most significant user growth occurred between 1st February and 16th February 2021, when the app gained over 4.6 million users.
- The social media up-comer has a 4.8 out of 5-star rating from over 400,000 users on the Apple app store.
- Most Clubhouse users spend an average of between 11 and 22 hours on the platform each week.
- Clubhouse rooms have a 5000-person capacity, which is often filled quite quickly considering the number of huge names that are part of its community.
- The company has been making moves to expand its user base. On 28th February 2021, it purchased an Instagram-based social media meme page (The Tinder Blog) for an undisclosed figure. At the time, the page had 4.2 million followers, and it attracted over 1 billion monthly impressions.
- The app is age rated at 17+ in the Apple app store.
|May, 2020||1500 Beta test users|
|October 1, 2020||10.000|
|January, 2021||2 million|
|February 8, 2021||8 million|
|March 16, 2021||13 million|
Top Countries Using Clubhouse outside the US
Here are the number of downloads that Clubhouse recorded outside the US (mostly done in February 2021) according to Appfigures:
- Germany had the highest number, at the time, with over 250,000 downloads.
- Japan followed at second position with 225,000 downloads.
- The UK occupied third place with 220,000 downloads, followed by Turkey and Canada with 125,000 and 85,000 downloads respectively.
- Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Australia wrapped up the list, although they all had less than 50,000 downloads.
Revenue Statistics around Clubhouse
Clubhouse does not have a formal funding model as of now, but it is looking to create a Patreon-styled model of payment such that the creators of content are paid directly.
- The first colossal investment that Clubhouse had was a $12 million Series A funding led by Andreessen Horowitz.
- On 12th November 2020, the company’s share price sat at $2.5. This figure surged to $28.4 in less than five months on 16th February.
- Clubhouse collaborates with content creators on the app to generate revenue through brand deals and takes a 20% cut of the fee charged.
- For the financial period between December 2019 and December 2020, the parent company of the platform, Clubhouse Media Group, recorded a $74,764 loss and a negative cash flow of $30,488 from its operating activities.
Clubhouse Revenue Comparison with Other Social Media Platforms
Clubhouse revenue numbers are much lower than those registered by other social media giants. However, that is expected as the app is a newcomer in the scene.
- Clubhouse’s market value stood at $1 billion in December 2020. The platform recorded a $900 million leap in the valuation between its inception and the start of 2021.
- Facebook had a market value of $778 billion by the start of this year and had gained a revenue of $32.7 billion in the year ending December 2020.
- Twitter had a market value of $56 billion as of March this year and its revenue for the year 2020 was at $3.7 billion.
- By December 2020, Instagram had annual revenue of $15.7 billion. Its market value at the start of this year was an approximated $102 billion.
- Snapchat had a market value of $73.6 billion as of the start of this year. In the year ending December 2020, it recorded a $2.5 billion revenue.
Comparison of the Number of Users with Other Social Media Platforms
Clubhouse is still a growing social media component, but here is how its number of users compares with those of other social media platforms.
- Clubhouse boasts of an average of approximately 2 million users each week, with a total of 10 million users being members of Clubhouse.
- YouTube has an approximated 2.3 billion users globally, with 79% of these users having user accounts.
- Snapchat had 265 million daily active users by the fourth quarter of last year. This figure rose to 321 million users as of the start of 2021.
- Twitter had a total of 192 million daily active users as of the last quarter of 2020.
- Facebook, the world’s most popular social platform, has a daily active user figure of 1.85 billion.
How Did Clubhouse Grow So Fast?
A significant factor that has spurred the growth of this social media platform is the presence of various celebrities and public figures.
Since the app is based on voice interactions, users can get on with their favorite celebrities and public figures. Some of the platform’s standout figures include Elon Musk, Jared Leto, Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Kevin Hart.
Clubhouse is Coming to Android
The app is not available on Android yet, but that could change soon. The co-founders claimed that the app is expected to be released on the Android platform in May or June 2021.