- BeReal existed for over two years from December 2019 to January 2022 before becoming popular.
- The app has made about $90 million, the only way it’s made money.
- A majority of UK users spend less than 15 minutes on BeReal per day.
- About 88% of US users have opened the BeReal app daily.
- According to a survey over 70% of men in the US have no intentions of trying BeReal.
- The number of monthly active users skyrocketed by 300% in 2022.
- Since the app launched, over 43.3 million people have downloaded it.
- BeReal has about 20 million daily active users.
- In April 2022, BeReal hit 10th place for most downloaded social media app.
- Adults ages 10 to 24 are the largest demographic on the platform.
Usage of BeReal has skyrocketed so far in 2022, including daily users and new accounts, and it seems that growth isn’t going to slow down.
Number of Active Users
|July 2021||0.92 million|
|April 2022||2.93 million|
|August 2022||10 million|
Number of Downloads
|Year||Number Of Downloads|
|January 2020||0.02 million|
|July 2021||20 million|
|August 2022||27.9 million|
|October 2022||53 million|
There are some statistics regarding social media users who don’t have BeReal and don’t have any plans to give it a try.
- From July 2021 to July 2022, BeReal users increased from 921,000 to 21.6 million and 53 million in October 2022.
- Around 12% of social media users in the US don’t intend to start using BeReal.
- About 73.5 million people use BeReal at least once per month.
- BeReal daily active users doubled from 10 million to 20 million from July to October 2022.
- About 9% of active Android app installs were opened each day in the third quarter of 2022.
- The number of monthly active users of BeReal has increased by 2,254% from January 2022 to September 2022.
- Every daily active user increases the worth of the app by roughly $100.
Number of Active Users
Like other new platforms, most of BeReal’s users are on the younger side, with the majority being less than 35 years old.
Usage also varies between countries and races, with white users in the US being the biggest demographic.
- About two-thirds of BeReal users are between 18 and 24 years old.
- White users use the app more than anyone of other races, with 26% of white users opening BeReal daily.
- One-fifth of Asian users open BeReal every day.
- Black users are in third place, with 14% of them opening BeReal each day.
- Only 1.9% of all BeReal users were over 45 years old as of 2021.
- In 2021, adults 26 to 44 made up over half of all users (55.1%).
- Also that year, about 58% of all US BeReal users were women.
- In the UK, only 0.6% of BeReal users are men.
- Users 16 to 25 make up 97.6% of all BeReal users from Brazil.
- Only 0.1% of Brazil BeReal users are 45 or older.
- Germany has the biggest percentage of users 45 and up, at 5.9% of users from the country.
- Also in Germany, about 49.3% of BeReal users are 26 to 44 years old.
- That means less than half of German BeReal users (44.8%) are under 25, the lowest of any of the major countries except the US.
BeReal Use Worldwide
BeReal is available in many countries, from the US to the UK and more, so consider some statistics related to this.
It’s also important to consider how people view BeReal, especially since about the same number of people view it as authentic and not authentic.
- Over half of UK Gen Z users (56%) haven’t used BeReal.
- Just over one-third (34%) of people believe BeReal is authentic social media.
- On the other hand, an additional 30% say it’s not authentic social media.
- In February 2022, BeReal became the 5th most popular App Store app in Spain in the social networking category.
- BeReal works in nine languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, and Portuguese.
BeReal Posts and Engagement
BeReal is unlike other social media platforms in that it prompts you when to post, and you only have a two-minute window to share a candid image.
Consider how people use the app and why they like to use it as well as how you can connect with others on the platform.
- More than two-fifths of Gen Z users in the UK use BeReal to maintain connections.
- Only about 20% of Gen Z users get on BeReal to help kill time when they’re bored.
- Roughly 16% of people who use BeReal get on the app every day.
- You can’t change the time that BeReal notifies you to post, which helps users “be real” on the platform.
- You can add friends on BeReal in two ways, from suggestions and requests.
- BeReal’s current terms of service prohibits users from promoting their business on the platform.
Since it’s an app, a big section of BeReal statistics should cover the app downloads, such as by country, app store, and more.
Here are some numbers you should know, from US downloads to how BeReal has reached the top spot of free apps.
- US users have downloaded BeReal over 2.7 million times.
- France comes in second place with more than 1.6 million downloads.
- In third place, people in the UK have downloaded BeReal over 1.5 million times.
- Almost three-quarters (74.5%) of total BeReal downloads happened in 2022.
- Downloads quadrupled between April and September 2022.
- The app is the 10th most popular social media app on the App Store.
- In September and October 2022, BeReal was the top free app for iPhone.
- BeReal downloads increased by 25.3 million from September to October, an increase of 90.68%.
- The US accounts for almost half of all BeReal downloads in the world.
- In 2020, BeReal only got about 20,000 downloads.
- BeReal first received a million downloads in a month in February 2022.
- The app saw its biggest increase in downloads from August to September 2022, with an extra 14.7 million downloads.
- As of October 2022, over 53 million users have downloaded the app worldwide.
- That month, BeReal managed to stay in second place for free apps.
- BeReal held the #1 spot of free apps on iOS from July 25 to September 14, 2022, a total of 51 days.
Of course, you also want to consider some of the biggest competitors to BeReal, even though there’s nothing quite like it.
The new app has to compete with other apps for the attention of users, and it has to face other apps offering the same features as BeReal.
- BeReal’s biggest competitors are Instagram, TikTok, and Gas.
- Over half of TikTok users spend an hour or more on the app, more than four times as long as BeReal users.
- The #BeReal tag on TikTok reached over 2.7 billion views in October 2022.
- BeReal has received much more continuous, stable growth compared to Clubhouse.
- Instagram implemented its own BeReal clone camera in July.
- In August 2022, Instagram started testing a challenge to make it more similar to BeReal.
- LinkedIn sends more traffic to BeReal than any other social network, at 63.08% of all social traffic.
- Twitter is in second place, sending about 36.57% of website views from social media.
BeReal may have only gained popularity in 2022, but it has a longer history that’s worth considering.
Here are some details you should know about the founding and funding of this app.
- BeReal was founded near the end of 2019.
- BeReal makes no money through ads or other promotions.
- The latest funding round for BeReal finished in August and raised roughly $60 million.
- BeReal was founded by and is headquartered in Paris, France.
Other BeReal Statistics
Some statistics don’t fit into the prior categories but are important to cover, from reviews to website views.
Consider the following statistics about website traffic and press.
- By May 2022, about 56.4% of all reviews of the app mentioned “mixed” or “negative.”
- The total number of bad reviews increased by 250% in the first half of July.
- Referrals are the largest traffic source for the BeReal website at 52.4%.
- Search results get BeReal another 38% of traffic.
- Only about 7.8% of views are direct to the BeReal website.
- BeReal receives about 228.2k website views per month.
- Despite having a low bounce rate of 63.13%, users only spend about 28 seconds on the website on average.
- On average, website visitors check out 1.64 pages on the BeReal site per visit.
- The US accounts for 28.1% of all BeReal website views.
- Brazil is in second place as the source of 7.71% of website views.
- While women tend to use the BeReal app more, men make up 57.66% of all BeReal website visitors.
- Adults 18 to 34 years old account for over half of all website views for BeReal.
- All of the top keywords people use to find the BeReal site are the platform’s name or some related spelling, such as Be Real.
- Dictionaries and encyclopedias are responsible for 79.07% of all referral traffic to the BeReal website.
- As of November 2022, the BeReal app is worth $587 million.
- In August 2022, Be Real had 124 employees, according to its LinkedIn profile.
- BeReal is hiring 11 new employees as of November 2022.
- Despite not allowing ads, companies appear to have started working with influencers on BeReal.