- Udemy had over 40 million learners supported by 56,000 instructors on its platform as of May 2021.
- The online learning and teaching marketplace hosts about 115 million minutes’ worth of video learning content.
- Udemy has over 5,100 employees and more than 7,000 enterprise customers.
- 90% of courses on Udemy are paid courses.
- Two out of three Udemy customers are located outside the US, with Udemy services available in more than 180 countries worldwide.
- Udemy availed to its users 60% more courses in 2020 than in 2019.
- Udemy services are recognized by Fortune 100 companies, with 80% of them acknowledging skills gained through Udemy courses.
- In 2020, there was an 80% increase in Udemy usage by governments and businesses.
- Udemy users can request a refund within 30 days of payment in case of dissatisfaction with the service, but with consideration of the guidelines.
More business statistics: Clubhouse, Patreon, Whatsapp.
Udemy Revenue and Financials
- The personal monthly plan on the platform costs $30 charged after a 7-day free trial.
- The online learning platform provider recorded $400 million in revenue in 2020.
- Udemy for Business has seen a rise in annual recurring revenue from 1 million to $100 million in the last five years.
- Udemy has raised a total of $311.4 million through a total of 18 funding rounds.
- Udemy kicked off with a $1 million seed in 2010, and ever since its highest amount raised via funding rounds was in July 2015, when it raised $65 million.
- The platform raised $50 million in a Series E funding round in February 2020 to reach a $2 billion pre-money valuation.
- In November 2020, Udemy ran another funding round (Series F) to hit a $3.25 billion valuation.
- Udemy has availed over 155,000 courses to its learning community, and the courses are available in more than 65 languages.
Topic enrolment trends in 2020 saw new users sign up, thus a rise in several fields of interest.
- Udemy recorded a 531% rise in enrolments into Art for Kids, while the Coding for Kids topic had an increase of 375%.
- The number of users interested in Technical Drawing rose by 920%.
- There was a 175% upswing in Yoga interest and a 402% spike in those learning about Pilates.
Other course statistics:
- 9 out of 10 Udemy courses are paid courses.
- Of the several courses available, 63% are in English, 9% in Portuguese, 8% in Spanish, 3.3% in Turkish, and 2.4% is in French.
- The average duration of complete Udemy courses is 4 hours 30 minutes.
- The 1-hour long courses on the platform average about 2,100 enrollments a month.
- Courses whose length averages 20 hours have 11,400 enrollments a month.
- The average course rating is 3.1 for courses that are less than an hour-long, 3.6 for courses ranging between 1 and 2 hours, 3.8 for those between 2 and 4 hours long, 3.9 for courses with course length between 4 and 8 hours, and 4.1 for those longer than 8 hours.
Udemy for Business
- Udemy for Business has over 6,000 courses under its two plans; Enterprise Plan and Team Plan.
- The Team Plan costs an annual $360 fee per user and is limited to between 5 and 20 users.
- The Enterprise Plan accommodates more than 20 users with courses available in up to 10 languages.
- Users subscribed to the Udemy for Business plans enjoy 24/7 customer care support.
- 2020 saw a rise of 21598% in the number of people interested in Telecommuting, while Virtual Teams attracted a 1523% spike in enrollments. Amazon Web Services (AWS) had a 1,150% growth in users.
Geographical Interest in Udemy
The following are the standout topics of interest per region based on data compiled at the end of last year:
- Americans had shifted their interest towards Creative Arts with a 326% increased interest in Adobe illustrator.
- Udemy users in Canada were more invested in Mindfulness and Stock Trading. Interest in the two had surged by 236% and 273%, respectively.
- Users taking up Character Animation in the UK had increased by 322%. Character Animation also stood out for Australians at 185%.
- Australian interest in Business Fundamentals saw a 168% rise.
- Mexican users had gravitated more towards the Analysis of Finances – 235%.
- Excel at 209% and Financial Trading at 223% represented the topics with the highest interest levels in France.
- Brazilians’ interest was primarily in tactical skills, with a 103% rise in those interested in Instagram Marketing, 102% in Video Manipulation, and 84% in Drawing.
- Further, specific geographical regions recorded significant increases in some topics of interest, including Indians with a 606% rise in attention towards Communication Skills and a 466% rise for Piano in Spain
Impact of COVID-19
- Udemy reports that in 2020 there was a 425% rise in the number of enrolments by users.
- There was a 55% rise in the number of Udemy course creations.
- Enrollments in specific countries also hit new highs, with Spain recording a 280% increase, India a 200% increase, and Italy a 320% increase.
- The shift to working from home in 2020 led employees towards the topics of Self Discipline – 237%, resilience – 236%, coaching – 322%, and stress management – 235%.
- The number of consumers under Udemy for Business spiked by 80%.
- There was increased curiosity towards taking up courses to satisfy personal interests, with there being a 920% rise in users taking Technical Drawing and a 292% rise in interest to learn Ukulele. Web Development, on the other hand, recorded a 60% increase while Data Science saw a 58% surge.
- The pandemic also pushed up interest in Health & Lifestyle fields, with a 111% rise in those interested in Meditation.
Udemy Traffic on the Web
In July 2021:
- Udemy enjoyed 111 million visits, making it the third straight month it had recorded over 100 million visits.
- The average visit duration on the platform was 11 minutes 11 seconds.
- 4% of the site’s visits were direct, 3.5% were through referrals, and 20.85% came from searches.
- Social sites were responsible for 6.9% of the visits, while 3.5% of the traffic generated was through displayed ads.
An alternative to Udemy is Coursera.
- Online Education Steps Up: What the World is Learning (from Home)
- LinkedIn: Udemy
- Udemy for Business Surpasses $100 Million Annual Recurring Revenue Milestone
- Udemy Raises $50 Million to Fuel Accelerated Global Demand for Online Learning
- Udemy Raises $50 Million Series E at $2 Billion Valuation
- Udemy Adds More Than $1 Billion To Its Valuation In New Funding Round
- Udemy For Business: Looking to upskill your team?
- Crunchbase: Udemy
- First Look at Udemy’s Monthly Subscription Plan for Consumers
- 157K Courses, 425M Enrollments: Breaking Down Udemy’s Massive Catalog
- Similar Web: Udemy